Before lounge at No 1

 

When it came to overhauling the living room at No 1, there was no time to lounge around (I’m here all week). Due to “running out of money” constraints, we left the fireplace surround where it was, opting to paint the tiles rather than rip them out. This time I learnt from my mistakes and avoided tile paint altogether, opting for the same heat-resistant gloss I used on the radiators. This worked a treat – drying quickly and drip-free. Then it was time for some elbow grease, to remove the grease that was smudged all around the window. (Considering the house is in a pedestrianised area, I have no idea how it got there, but it’s best not to dwell on some things.) Finally, new paint, new carpet and a new light fitting lifted the room from drab to fab.